Staycation 2010

Sorry for not being around this past week.  I was staycationing with my mom.  It was actually the longest time that my mother and I had spent together in the past seven years.  Yes, that’s right, I said seven years!  We did a bunch of stuff around the area.  Which leads me to mention that there is a ton of stuff to do within a two-hour drive of Philly.  Tons and tons of stuff that on a normal day we forget is so close.

First on Monday we celebrated my belated birthday with a cake from Classic Cake Company and cupcakes from Coldstone Creamery. Super yummy to both.  We also picked up Indian from a new restaurant in the area.  It’s the first time my mother has ever had Indian.  She really liked the tandoori chicken, the jasmine rice, and the naan (honestly, who doesn’t love naan?).  She hated the dal.  Oh well, I was surprised she like anything (she’s not known for liking new flavors).

Tuesday we went to Amish Country, a place my mom hasn’t been since I was in 7th grade.  Shopping at the outlets in Lancaster for baby clothes for Charlie for next summer then wandering around Kitchen Kettle Village in Intercourse.  Yep, that’s the real name of the town.  I dared my mom to buy this t-shirt, but she wouldn’t.

We did, however, buy a ton of jams, jellies, and butters.  I also bought raspberry curd.  I’d heard of it, but have never had it before.  Yummm.  I think I’m making scones next weekemd to go with it.

Wednesday we went up to NYC to see Wicked on Broadway.  Let me begin this section by stating that I NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER drive in NYC.  I always grab the Jersey Transit train in Hamilton, NJ.  However, there was apparently something wrong with the trains on Wed morning.  The website said that the trains weren’t running between Trenton and Patterson (which Hamilton lies between), so we drove up to New Brunswick (where Rutgers University main campus is) to catch the train.  Supposedly the trains were running 30-60 minutes delayed.  Well, we got there at 11 and the 10:17 hadn’t come through.  When we left at 12:10, the 10:17 still hadn’t come through.  Since we didn’t want to miss the show I had to drive.  YUCK!

We finished driving up to Manhattan, through the Lincoln tunnels, and found a garage near the theater.  We picked up our tickets from Will Call with 15 minutes to spare.  Used the “facilities,” and then I had to grab water.  Seriously humid and hot, and a pregnant woman can dehydrate pretty quickly.  Here’s the water I bought.

Price, $4.00.  Holy outrageous price!!  But, the show was amazing.  Neither of us had seen anything on Broadway before and my mother had never seen Wicked anywhere.  It was AWESOME!!  And our seats were sooooo close.  I chose to get us separate seats (I had bought the tickets at 6 AM that morning – separate seats = 1/2 price of the only seats left together in the theater, which were directly in front of my seat), and we ended up in row A and row C of the orchestra, but directly behind each other.  Here’s some pictures from my seat (row C).

Sorry for the quality, but I took these with my Blackberry.  No zoom, this is how close we were (3 and 5 rows back!).

When we left we grabbed some dinner at an Italian Restaurant, walked through Times Square, and then we picked up the car at 6:30.  To get from the garage to the Lincoln tunnels, a total distance of less than 1 mile, it took us over 1 hour.  It was the worst traffic I have ever experienced in my life.  Once we got through the tunnels and back on the NJ turnpike, it only took us 1 hour and 20 minutes to get home.  Crazy.

Thursday, we went to the Reading Terminal Market in Philly.

We picked up hickory smoked pork chops for dinner.  They were cut from the bone as we waited.  We also picked up fresh fruits, veggies, cheesecake (for desert), some gifts for my family in Pgh, and of course, Bassett’s Ice Cream.

Finally, on Friday, my mom and I went down the shore to the Wildwoods.  We didn’t do much, just wandered on the Boardwalk and in the ocean.  It was a nice day, not too hot, with a wonderful breeze.  But, it was overcast.

Wildwood, NJ

Got a picture of my mom!

Can’t wait to take Charlie to the beach next summer!

My mom had to fly back home on Saturday, but it was one hell of a wonderful week.


Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s